Tuesday, August 30, 2011

30 weeks!

Our little cabbage is about 16 inches long and almost 3 lbs.  He (it is so nice to not have to type it or he/she) is very active these days, which I enjoy.  He has also starting getting, or I've just started being able to feel it, the hiccups.  Hiccups in utero feel like a tiny rhythmic but very light kick.  When I first felt them (appx 5:30 am) I woke up Chris so he could feel too.  And bless his sweet, sweet soul, he didn't even blink a second of anger for being woken up before dawn.  I love him.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but maybe I'll miss being pregnant when it's over?  There is something so remarkable about carrying, nurturing, and feeling your baby grow within. 

On the other hand, there are a number of areas of my body I can no longer see - I won't miss that.  I probably won't miss heartburn waking me up in the middle of the night.  I definitely won't miss my doctor's lecture about how a cinnamon roll for breakfast has NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE and is just like eating dessert for breakfast.  Maybe so doc, but 8 months ago dessert for breakfast was a completely acceptable thing.  I, for sure, won't miss sleeping on my side, although I have to say this is immensely improved with the purchase of a new mattress a few days ago.  It is doubtful I'll miss the feeling of my stomach touching my thighs, a feeling that just doesn't seem quite right.  I won't miss the hormone shifts that make me a little like jekyll and hyde.  I won't miss maternity clothes, that used to be so liberating with that stretchy panel, but now just feel ugly, gigantic and out of fashion.

Anyway, I digress...

We had our shower this past weekend, which was really fun.  There is nothing like having all of your favorite people in one place.  It means a lot when people go out of their way to show up for the important times of your life.  The older I get, the more I value just that - showing up.  No one is better at showing up then my family in NY, particularly my aunt Vic.  She has made the drive from NY to TX for every important time in my life and the gesture does not go unnoticed.  I am overcome with thankfulness for the show of support and feel so lucky to have people like her in my life.  They may not be close in proximity, but they are close in all the ways that matter.

A special thank you to Catherine, Sarah, Amanda & Kelli for setting everything up and making such a great environment for fun!  Thank you ladies for a fantastic night, thank you thank you thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment