Monday, July 11, 2011

How not to raise drug addicts?

95% of all coke addicts, prostitutes, criminals, weirdos and otherwise non-functioning members of society always blame a parent on how they got where they are today.  A parent didn't care enough, wasn't there enough, beat them, did drugs, etc.  These are all things that I know I can control, so I'm not so worried here.  It is the other 5% that claim to have loving, normal parents that keep me up at night worrying.

How do you raise a considerate, thoughtful, honest child without sending them over to the Duggars house?  If you don't know the Duggars, you should - you can find them on TLC.

I guess the root of this question is really - How can we parent differently than our parents?

Don't get me wrong, both Chris and I are high functioning, non-drug addict members of society.  But, you can always learn from others mistakes right?  So - if you have never seen any other parenting style, how do you parent differently than your parents?

Okay okay, I'm avoiding the real problem.  I don't know how to parent a child.  I feel like we've raised some pretty fun and kind dogs (okay Milo isn't exactly kind to everyone, but he's awfully kind to us).  Somehow I'm afraid that this doesn't translate into good parenting of humans.  I guess maybe a good place to start is what I want for our children.  I'll speak singularly bc at the moment we only have one child, but know that this applies to all subsequent children.

1.  I want our child to be the kind of person that sees the world as a place that can be made better, and I want him/her to be a part of that change.
2.  I want our child to value family, but more than that I want him/her to believe that family is the one thing you can always count on.
3.  If our child decides to rebel, may it be with water downed vodka that will make it so sick it will never experiement again - all happening in the safety of close friends at age 25.  And may he/her never befriend the kid at school wearing black clothes, lipstick and eye liner, because let's be real this = trouble.
4.  I want this baby to grow up with Chris and I together, for its entire life.  May we model how to be considerate, loving and loyal to a spouse.
5.  I want our child to be happy.  The kind of happy that makes them stay off the pole.
6.  I want our child to love and be loved.  The love of a partner, the love of a place, the love of a career, the love of music and art and books, may it find love in every adventure that it takes.
7.  If I'm being honest, I want this child to be funny and to laugh easily.  I am scared that I don't know how to raise a serious, quiet child.
8.  I want this baby to have a long healthy and painfree life.
9.  I want this child to have close friends that are loyal, trusting, available, honest and consistent.
10.  I want this baby and all our babies to believe in something that is bigger than itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment