Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Maternity Pictures?

I have an ongoing conflict in my head.  I feel pressured to do some form of maternity pictures, but I really don't want to.  And no, it's not bc I feel gigantic.  It's because they all (no offense) look awkward to me.  Maybe people do naturally lean against a tree, in full make up, and look adoringly into their spouse's eyes while he rubs the baby belly.  But, I do not.  Sure I rub my bump kind of a lot, but for some reason my hands never form a heart shape with my fingers over it.  I know you've seen this picture a least a hundred times.  Not me.  I love this bump, but I don't want to frolic through a field of bluebonnets with it.

So, the question is - what do I do?  When did maternity pictures come about?  And why?  I get the curiousity that people feel about my growing belly and the subsequent pictures they desire to go along with it.  I can't remember how many times I longed to see a friend's pregnant belly when I found out she was expecting.  I get that.  But maternity pictures, I do not get.  Will the urge to take them come about later?  I just don't know. 

And please do not get me started on semi nude maternity pictures.  Dear god, I do NOT want to bear it all for a camera while my husband holds my boobs.  How is that natural?!!  Do not get me wrong, if you want to do this - you go girl, do it big.  But that is not for me.  I will not be doning lingerie and rolling around a bed with my protruding belly.  Someone made a mistake of just sending a belly bearing picture to my sweet grandmother, I thought she'd hit the roof with embarassment. On this issue, I agree Gram - no thank you.  No thank you indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Haha you're so cute. I could imagine you with some really beautiful pictures surrounded by your pups and reading a book or something. Whatever your natural setting is or doing something you enjoy. I bet Amy could photograph you in a non cheesy way, if you even want formal pictures with your bump :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing, I kind of don't want formal pictures with my bump. I must be missing that sentimental gene, or maybe it's that I'm growing a second chin? If anyone could do pictures I'd love, it'd be Amy but I think for now I'll skip it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the most awkward pregnancy pictures ever. Unfortunately, I know the person they belonged to - she and her husband were in some random field, she was sitting on the ground with her belly exposed, and he had his foot ON HER BELLY.

    Um, no.

    ReplyDelete